Note: This article is not for online instruction that happens real-time, but at a distance using technology tools such as Zoom, FaceTime, etc. You'll find that here: Create an Online Learning Class
This article tells how to create a new class to track distance learning (DL) students and their proxy hours. ("Proxy hours" refers to the time students spend working independently to complete DL lessons.)
- Each DL curriculum platform needs its own proxy hours class.
- Do not mix proxy hours and online instruction time in the same class.
The class setup is nearly the same as for an in-person class. To set up a class for DL proxy hours, complete the Add Class form as usual, paying attention to these areas:
- Class Name best practice is to include the name of the DL curriculum and the word "proxy."
- Attendance Format - to enter proxy hours in chunks/blocks of time*, select "lab" (rather than "scheduled" time). This will allow you to type in up to 30 hours earned when entering attendance.
- Student Hour Type must say Distance Learning. (Only proxy hours should be marked with an Hour Type of distance learning. Do not mark this type for student/teacher contact hours.)
- Distance Learning Program - select the name of the DL curriculum from the menu.
*The state allows DL hours ONLY to be recorded on a single calendar day even when hours were earned over the course of several days.
For definitions of terms on this screen, see: Add Class Definitions chart
To learn how to enter DL attendance hours, see this article: Add Distance Learning Hours
Note that classes with a Student Hour Type of Distance Learning will not appear on the ABE Hotline.