Note: This article is not for distance learning classes using official DL platforms. If that's what you're looking for, go here: Create a Distance Learning Proxy Class
This article tells how to create a new class for instruction that happens real-time, but at a distance using technology tools such as Zoom, FaceTime, Google Meet, Skype, etc.
The class setup is nearly the same as for an in-person class. The only difference is a special naming convention for the class title. See instructions below.
To set up a class for online learning, complete the Add Class form as usual, paying attention to these areas:
- Class Name - follow this format: “Online” plus the online tool/software used and the content.
Examples: “Online Zoom ESL 3” or “Online FaceTime GED Math.”
- Attendance Format - choose the format that applies to your class.
- If the class is meeting at a specific time, e.g. 9-10am, select "scheduled."
- If a teacher will be available to meet with students during a broad time period, e.g. 1-4pm, select "lab."
- Student Hour Type - select Contact
- Distance Learning Program - select None.
For definitions of terms on this screen, see: Class Setup Field Definitions
If you have questions about how to create or name a class in SiD, contact SiD support at email@example.com.