Use the Classes>Messages tab to communicate with students through the student portal.
This article covers:
- how to send a new message to a student;
- what the message looks like in the student portal;
- replying to a student message; and
- how to delete a student reply to your message.
NOTE: Students must log into the student portal to see the message. When a message is sent to the student, it is NOT sent to the student's email.
- Staff with SiD teacher login accounts can create messages on the Classes>Messages screen if they are assigned as a teacher for the class. Once messages have been created, staff with a teacher login account cannot edit or unsend them.
- Staff with admin login accounts can create logs on any Classes>Messages screen. They can also create, edit, or delete logs on the Students, Staff, and Volunteer>Log screens.
How to create a message for one or more people in a class
Select the desired class from the Dashboard or Classes tab, then click on the Messages subtab.
- From the Log Type menu, choose Message.
- In the Create Message field, type the message to the people in the class.
- The Log Date tells when the message will appear in the recipient's student portal. It defaults to today's date; highlight to type a different date.
- If desired, type a Hide Date - a date after which the message will no longer be visible to the user (or to you).
- Select the people in the class for whom the log entry will be created.
- To choose one or more individuals, click the box in front of their name.
- To choose everyone in the class, including the teacher and volunteers, click the Select All option.
- Click the Create Log(s) button.
The message will be visible on the Student>Logs screen and on the student portal.
Student portal view
This is how the message will look to the student when s/he logs into the Student Portal. Messages from the teacher appear at the top right of the every screen. They also appear in a grid on the Messages tab.
From the Message tab, students may complete a reply form to communicate with a teacher - highlighted in yellow below.
Replying to a student message
- From the Home tab / Dashboard, select the message sent by the student through the student portal.
- On the next screen, select the desired message.
- On the Reply/Delete screen, type your response in the Reply box. Then click the Reply to Message button.
DELETE a student reply to your message
The student reply will automatically disappear on the Visible Until date. You can manually remove it sooner if you prefer.
- From the Home tab / Dashboard, select the reply sent by the student.
- On the next screen, select the message to be deleted.
- On the Reply/Delete screen, click the "Delete this Message?" button.